Sunday, April 15, 2007

Phone Assignment

For the phone assignment I was able to chat with Rebecca for quite some time. Though our conversation didn’t start out on solid ground it went exceptionally well. We arranged to speak on Saturday at 4pm. Leave it up to me to lost track of time and forget about the phone call that I was expecting. When she called I thought she was some sort of telemarketer calling me on my cell phone so I wasn’t too happy. Once I realized who it was I things went much better.

We were actually able to share two entirely different experiences. One was very personal and the other was work related. Though neither one of us could truly empathize with the other, there was definitely compassion, consideration and a willingness to help one another.

The problem solving aspect was quite difficult being that neither one of us could relate with the situation that the other was in. However, through many questions and gaining a better understanding ideas were formulated and I know that I, at least, was able to walk away with another possible solution and reassured that I should not back down.

Despite the fact that we did have a good conversation, we both were faced with barriers that may have inhibited the communication process a bit. When Rebecca called me I was out with my Mom at a store. The reception my phone got was horrible and I had to call he back once I got outside. Once outside I called her back and we started off the conversation while I was driving home. (About a 3-5 minute drive). Though I was engaged in the conversation I didn’t give it all my attention at that time due to traffic. Once I got home I felt that I had no boundaries to overcome. I was able to give her my full-undivided attention.

When looking at the communication style that was mainly used its hard to lump it into one category. Between the two of us I would have to say that it was more collaborating than anything else. However, when addressing the problems and how they should possible be handled one is at the point where a more aggressive/assertive stance may need to be taken and the other a more collaborating one. According to the conflict management style my communication style is more avoiding and compromising, but in this conversation I didn’t see that as being the case. If had to determine Rebecca’s communication style I would say that it would be more of a compromising or collaborating style.

All in all our conversation went great and I look forward to talking to her again. At the end of the conversation we did realize that we do have one common problem. We both are stumped on the final project. Maybe we should have tried to resolve that issue.

1 comment:

RLee said...

No need to apologize. I completely understand. I'm glad you walked away from the conversation with a new approach to your dilemma. I hope everything turns out the way it should for your student. I too was able to receive good advice as well as reassurance on my issue. Its always good to get an outside perspective. And, hopefully someone in our group has a clue :)